#OrderickLucas: Alleged killer’s bail application postponed again | CTlive.info - South Africa News

# # # # # #

Protest in defence of Melvin Volk outside Bluedowns court. Melvin Volk appeared at the Blue Downs Magistrate Court for the Orderick Lucas case. Picture: Ayanda Ndamane/African News Agency (ANA)
Cape Town – The bail application for 22-month-old Orderick Lucas’ alleged killer, Melvyn Volkwyn, has been postponed for the second time.

Both the prosecution and defence team agreed that the case should be heard by the Blue Downs Magistrates Court on May 23. Volkwyn is facing a charge of murder and kidnapping.

On Monday, prosecutor Nathan Adriaanse told the court he was inundated with bail applications. He told the court he would not have enough time to complete Volkwyn’s application. The application was granted and Volkwyn is to be kept at Mfuleni Police Station holding cells.

Orderick went missing on March 24. His body was found eight days later in a drain in Melton Rose, Kleinvlei.

According to his mother Davideen Lucas, 28, she had left the toddler in the care of Volkwyn after she was attacked by community members for allegedly stealing a phone. She said when she returned for the child, Volkwyn said he had handed Orderick back to her.

Last week, Volkwyn asked that he be moved to a single cell because other inmates were demanding that he performs sexual acts on them.

@Zoey_Dano

[email protected]

Cape Argus

Follow Us
Popular Posts
  • Amplats puts 270ha of land in new hands

  • Social media reacts to innocent looking Vusi ‘Khekhe’ Mathibela

  • PICS: Two people dead, two injured in Kempton Park crash

  • NZ mosque attack toll rises to 50, authorities to begin releasing bodies

  • Ex-DA member sticks to his guns over R600m kickback for party

  • How climate change is sinking an Indian island.

  • Convicted racist Vicki Momberg’s appeal postponed to June