December 7, 2018 7:34 am
Johannesburg – A man has died following a devastating blaze in Alexandra that left hundreds displaced, police confirmed on Friday.
According to police spokesperson Captain Steve Malatji, the man died following a mob attack on Thursday afternoon.
“He died on his way to the hospital… we’re investigating a case of manslaughter and no arrests have been made at this stage,” he told IOL.
It remains unclear why the man was attacked or if a fight between love rivals led to the blaze, with Malatj saying that the details around the cause of the fire remained unclear at this point.
He did however, confirm that a case of inquiry had been opened into the cause and that more details would be shared as they became available.
Earlier, IOL reported that a blaze ripped through the township, leaving hundreds of the shacks gutted and hundreds of residents displaced.
Joburg Emergency Services spokesperson Nana Radebe said there had been reports that the blaze broke out following a fight between residents, but this is yet to be confirmed.
NGOs, including Gift of the Givers, are on site providing relief to displaced residents.
Categorised in: South Africa